Sunday, February 22, 2009

A UFO bites the dust!

About a year ago, I spent a day in New York's fabric district with my Creative Machine co-moderators, Anne Marie, Carol and Sarah. It was a fabulous time, and one of the souvenirs from that trip was an interesting black-brown-tan print. After aging for a while, I decided it would be perfect for a simple shirtwaist dress (drafted with PatternMaster). I got the pieces cut out, assembled the bodice and skirt, put on the collar...

...and then, it languished in my workroom.

A few days ago I came across the sorry pile of partially-assembled pieces and decided it deserved to be completed. I inserted the sleeves, found buttons, made a matching belt and got it finished.

Not one of the more flattering styles on me, but hey, it's done.


The worst part of this whole project was the fabric: it stubbornly refused to take a press.


Overall, I'm happy with the fit. It's quite comfortable, too.


This was one of the best parts of the dress: the buttons. They are actually made of leather! I sewed them on by hand, with embroidery floss, in a "non-standard" pattern.


I wasn't sure how to finish the sleeves; finally, I decided just to add a cuff with a button.


The belt was easy to make! I just used a commercial buckle, and used two layers of Decor-Bond as stiffener. I fortunately had some small black grommets in my stash. I would have preferred to use a buckle I could cover with matching fabric, but at this stage of the game I was at the mercy of whatever JoAnn's had.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with this dress!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely dress Welmoed! The color suits you beautifully and I love the details!

    Pam ~Off The Cuff~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welmoed, I love how you sewed on the buttons! So different...and interesting!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts... Please share!