I've been working on a dress for the past few weeks and finally got it hemmed and done this evening. It's a copy of a ready-to-wear dress I've had for a long time that I bought from the J. Peterman catalog.
Here's the RTW dress:
I really love this dress, even though the waist is just a bit too high. I decided to try and copy it with PatternMaster Boutique.
Here's the finished version. It's not done, though: I actually ran out of fabric for the belt, so I've been trying to find either a matching corduroy (it's been aging in my stash for a few years), or come up with a contrasting belt.
The dress has in-seam pockets, just like the RTW version.
I've got a few minor issues with the dress, other than the fit. The first is the corduroy! I hadn't done much with corduroy previously, and I had no idea the stuff wrinkled as much as it does. And it's a bear to press!! I tried to get a nice crisp edge on the collar, but was afraid I would totally flatten the nap. Same thing for the hem. Maybe the wrinkles will come out in the wash; we'll have to see.
Also, I'm wondering about the length. The original dress is longer than the copy; I'd love to get some feedback over which length is actually more suitable. I've got about 4" in the hem, so it could be let down.
I'm going to make this again, with a few tweaks, and use some non-napped fabric (like a soft denim), so it can be a summer dress.
Organizing suggestions found in the media
4 hours ago