Okay, maybe the dry spell is broken! Yesterday I went down to the sewing room and pulled out a project that had been on my "to do" list since last Fall.
A long time ago -- probably close to 20 years ago -- I made a kimono using Folkwear 113. One of the things I remember about it was the enormously long main pattern piece: the front and back was piece nearly 10 feet long!! But I really liked the resulting kimono, and wore it for years until it finally wore out.
Fast forward to last October. I was at the sewing expo in Chantilly, and came across the SewBatik booth. There, I found the most amazing fabric: extra-wide hand-dyed double-border batik! 108 inches wide!! The first thing that popped into my head was, oh boy, wouldn't this make a fabulous Folkwear kimono.
One of the great things about using this extra-wide fabric was that I could cut the body piece on the cross grain and eliminate the center back seam. Cutting was pretty straightforward, but rather than spread the fabric out on the floor (since I don't have a 12-foot table anymore), I placed the pattern piece on the fabric and traced around it with a chalk marker. It took four passes to get the whole piece marked out, but at least I wasn't crawling around on the floor like I did 20 years ago to get it laid out in one shot!
Construction is pretty straightforward, and the instructions are very well done. I started it last night and finished this afternoon; all told it took about six hours.
Here's the front view:
(Oh, and my husband likes it so much he wants one for himself. But I'm not sure if the fabric pattern will suit him. We shall see.)
Bullet Journals: an experiment in productivity
11 hours ago