Much to my amazement, the dress is done! I'm very pleased with how it came out; I can easily see wearing this to other events. Hmm... I've got a reception coming up at the Smithsonian... I could definitely wear it there!
The front view:
And the back view:
Anyway, the details: I decided against adding a lining; it really didn't need one. I was worried the fabric would be too translucent, but it's not, so why add the extra layer? Instead, I added a one-piece facing (which actually created a head-scratcher: how to sew it in completely by machine? Answer: very carefully.). And, since it's a knit fabric, I didn't have to finish the edge of the facing.
For the hem, I cut another yellow band piece and attached it to the bottom edge with a 1/4" seam, then folded it up and stitched the raw edge to the seam allowance between the outer yellow band and bottom black band. This way, nothing shows from the outside, and I didn't lose much of the yellow. In retrospect, I should have cut the yellow band about half an inch wider, but it ended up looking pretty good anyway.
There's also no zipper. I put an invisible zipper in the left side when I put the shell together yesterday, but discovered I could pull it over my head easily without the zipper, so I took it out.
I found these nice black strappy heels in my closet, and they go pretty well with the dress, so I'll be wearing them. I'd love to wear a pair of red pumps that I have, but a sore toe joint just won't let me wear something with a 3-inch heel. Darn! As for the hair, I'm going to use some of the leftover white fabric to make a triangle scarf, and bind it with the black. Very retro!
Tomorrow's weather promises to be sunny and hot, so this is going to be the perfect dress for the party!
Organizing suggestions found in the media
1 hour ago