30 Days of Me: Day 10

Day 10: Something You're Afraid Of

Wow; these questions certainly aren't just about silly things, like what's your favorite color?

For a long time, I had a fear of flying. I was a total white-knuckle passenger. Then, about three years ago, that fear went away. I have no idea why or how, but it just disappeared. Now I'm fine with getting on an airplane; I just don't have many reasons to anymore.

I was also afraid of heights for a long time. Couldn't climb a ladder without feeling nervous. Again, this fear went away quite suddenly last year, when I found myself climbing a 20-foot ladder to remove some awnings at our house. Even though the ladder wobbled and swayed, I was fine with it and felt no fear at all.

Being a perfectionist, I have a fear of making mistakes. I worry about giving people the wrong information. I second-guess myself all the time. I've got what our family calls the "Curse of the Competent" -- that is, people have much more confidence in my abilities than I do, and even though I can usually do whatever the task may be, I worry about whether I've really done it well, or other people are just being polite.

So if I have to boil it down, I'd say that I'm afraid of letting other people down.

Comments

  1. Oh my gosh Welmoed! You've hit the nail on the head about "fear of making mistakes"...it is absolutely me and it drives ME nuts!!! LOL! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that way. I'm enjoying your blog very, very much! Susan, Sweet Pea Sewing, Kirkville, NY

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts... Please share!