Supposedly, I'm going to be posting every day on a specific topic. Don't worry; this isn't the only thing I'll write about! I'm still sewing (and trying to organize the sewing room as I go) and will post about those projects too.
Day 1: Introduction, recent picture, and 15 interesting facts
Well hello there! I'm Welmoed. And for those of you who have always wondered, it is pronounced "VEL-moot". It's an old Dutch name that means "full of good cheer".
Here's a picture of me and my husband of 25 years, Bob. We were at a black-tie dinner in Atlanta, Georgia. This picture was taken late January 2011. I really don't like having my picture taken. (oops... Did I sneak in an interesting fact prematurely?)
(Yes, that's a Smithson Gown... It was so nice to be able to wear it again!)
Now for those facts. Whether they're interesting or not...
- I was born in the Netherlands and moved to the US when I was 3 years old. I still speak Dutch.
- I made an appearance on CNN’s “Sonya Live”.
- I used to be a two-pack-a-day smoker but quit in 1985.
- My mother taught me to sew when I was 8 years old.
- I live in a castle with a fire-breathing dragon.
- I love to visit New York City, especially with my daughter.
- I collect “blind boxes” – little plastic toys from Japan.
- I adore estate sales.
- I’m great with ideas but lousy about executing them.
- I read to my kids every night, from the time the oldest was 6 months old until the youngest was in high school.
- We don’t have cable or satellite TV and I don’t miss it a bit.
- I’ve been on the internet since 1981 (CompuServe).
- I have a degree in Journalism with a minor in Psychology.
- When I was 18 I moved to Holland for a year and lived on my own.
- I used to sell digitized embroidery designs on the web.