Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Otakon 2011: Plan B... and C... and D...

It's been a while since I posted, but that surely doesn't mean I haven't been busy.

Diana's initial sketch for her Otakon costume just wasn't inspiring either of us to envision a truly epic creation. It was too much like simply a "nice dress," rather than a great costume, so we sat down one evening and hashed out the issues, endured a fair number of false starts and spirited discussions, and ended up with yet another concept sketch.

This concept calls for a laced vest with long skirt panels and sheer godets between each panel. The back will feature a chiffon cape embellished with cattail sequins and a fringe of gathered tulle to resemble the ocean froth.

To add to the pressure, she has picked a piece of shot dupioni silk from my stash, which is 45 inches wide and less than 3 yards long, and it's all I have, and she insists that has to be the vest.

So, back to the drawing board... or rather, back to the computer to draft a muslin. I double-checked her chart in PatternMaster Boutique to make sure the numbers were still current (they were), and drafted a sheath using the panel styleline and a front zipper. A little while later the muslin was ready to try on.


I really can't say often enough how much I adore this program. Can you believe the fit? Here's the back view.


Yes, I know there are wrinkles across the back. She wants this vest to fit more like a corset, which means the final version will be boned and interfaced, so will lie smoothly.

Once she headed back to the eastern shore for her internship, I got to work on the final version. It doesn't look like much in the picture, and there's still a fair amount of embellishment to be done, but here it is so far.


This is the front view, which will have eyelets installed for the lacing. I still have to add to godets; until last night I wasn't sure what shape they would take but the wonderful ladies of my ASG group were again instrumental in helping me figure out the details.

I hope to get the bulk of the costume done by this weekend so I can work on my own costume; more on that in the next post!

P.S. I am so proud of my daughter... She was part of the team that caught the snakefish in the Rhode River last week, and got interviewed for TV!

4 comments:

  1. The link at the bottom is broken...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads-up... I embedded it instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely and articulate young woman!
    The costume is coming along nicely :-)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts... Please share!