Otakon 2011: Plan B... and C... and D...

It's been a while since I posted, but that surely doesn't mean I haven't been busy.

Diana's initial sketch for her Otakon costume just wasn't inspiring either of us to envision a truly epic creation. It was too much like simply a "nice dress," rather than a great costume, so we sat down one evening and hashed out the issues, endured a fair number of false starts and spirited discussions, and ended up with yet another concept sketch.

This concept calls for a laced vest with long skirt panels and sheer godets between each panel. The back will feature a chiffon cape embellished with cattail sequins and a fringe of gathered tulle to resemble the ocean froth.

To add to the pressure, she has picked a piece of shot dupioni silk from my stash, which is 45 inches wide and less than 3 yards long, and it's all I have, and she insists that has to be the vest.

So, back to the drawing board... or rather, back to the computer to draft a muslin. I double-checked her chart in PatternMaster Boutique to make sure the numbers were still current (they were), and drafted a sheath using the panel styleline and a front zipper. A little while later the muslin was ready to try on.


I really can't say often enough how much I adore this program. Can you believe the fit? Here's the back view.


Yes, I know there are wrinkles across the back. She wants this vest to fit more like a corset, which means the final version will be boned and interfaced, so will lie smoothly.

Once she headed back to the eastern shore for her internship, I got to work on the final version. It doesn't look like much in the picture, and there's still a fair amount of embellishment to be done, but here it is so far.


This is the front view, which will have eyelets installed for the lacing. I still have to add to godets; until last night I wasn't sure what shape they would take but the wonderful ladies of my ASG group were again instrumental in helping me figure out the details.

I hope to get the bulk of the costume done by this weekend so I can work on my own costume; more on that in the next post!

P.S. I am so proud of my daughter... She was part of the team that caught the snakefish in the Rhode River last week, and got interviewed for TV!

Comments

  1. The link at the bottom is broken...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads-up... I embedded it instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely GREAT fit !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely and articulate young woman!
    The costume is coming along nicely :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts... Please share!