More wardrobe additions

Now that I have a shirt pattern I like and a pants pattern that works well for me, I've started on some variations to add interest to my wardrobe.
One of my favorite sources for shirt inspiration has to be Pam Erny. She recently posted a new shirt design for a musician client of hers. I really liked the use of contrasting fabric on the placket, collar and cuffs, and decided to do the same for myself. I used the same pattern as for my uniform shirts, drafted with PatternMaster Boutique.
I've had a small piece of this red fabric in my stash for years; it wasn't enough to make anything out of but I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. I was delighted to discover that it was just enough to do the contrasts on this shirt!
Front view:

Yes, the pants are new as well. More about those later.

Back view:

Now for the details.


Here you can see the contrast undercollar and the contrast inner collar stand.


Here you can see the cuff details, with the contrast placket and contrast inside cuff. I was really on the fence about doing the placket in the red fabric, until I saw Pam's Musician shirt, with the exact same configuration!
The under placket is also contrast, which I did by adding the strip of red fabric to the front of the folded placket, like an applique.
I must say, I really do like this style of shirt and will definitely be making more of them. The same goes for the pants. These are uniform pants, but I'm planning on making a pair out of non-green fabric sometime in the near future.
You can just barely see the loops I added to the pants all the way around; these aren't for a belt, but rather places to clip my inspection tools. I also added loops to the side seams, to hold flashlights.
I'd like to say that this arrangement worked out well, but I discovered that the flashlight had a tendency to swing out as I walk, and that could possibly damage something during a home inspection. So I'm going to experiment with making more of a sheath or sleeve for the flashlight that holds it closer to my leg but still allows me to get at it quickly and easily.
It feels wonderful to sew clothes that fit me well and are comfortable!

Comments

  1. That is a wonderful feeling!
    Maybe all you need is a second loop a couple inches down from the first--slide the light through both and it won't swing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welmoed, They look great and I like the fun colors. I saw Pam's post, too. I guess I'll have to think about doing that to a blouse some day. Which blouse pattern did you start with? Sue C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Felicity from Down UnderFebruary 4, 2012 at 8:45 AM

    I love that contrast fabric, it really gives the blouse a touch of "special".

    ReplyDelete
  4. SueC, this is a Classic blouse with set-in sleeves and a shirt collar.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts... Please share!