Now that I have a shirt pattern I like and a pants pattern that works well for me, I've started on some variations to add interest to my wardrobe.
One of my favorite sources for shirt inspiration has to be Pam Erny. She recently posted a new shirt design for a musician client of hers. I really liked the use of contrasting fabric on the placket, collar and cuffs, and decided to do the same for myself. I used the same pattern as for my uniform shirts, drafted with PatternMaster Boutique.
I've had a small piece of this red fabric in my stash for years; it wasn't enough to make anything out of but I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. I was delighted to discover that it was just enough to do the contrasts on this shirt!
Yes, the pants are new as well. More about those later.
Now for the details.
Here you can see the contrast undercollar and the contrast inner collar stand.
Here you can see the cuff details, with the contrast placket and contrast inside cuff. I was really on the fence about doing the placket in the red fabric, until I saw Pam's Musician shirt, with the exact same configuration!
The under placket is also contrast, which I did by adding the strip of red fabric to the front of the folded placket, like an applique.
I must say, I really do like this style of shirt and will definitely be making more of them. The same goes for the pants. These are uniform pants, but I'm planning on making a pair out of non-green fabric sometime in the near future.
You can just barely see the loops I added to the pants all the way around; these aren't for a belt, but rather places to clip my inspection tools. I also added loops to the side seams, to hold flashlights.
It feels wonderful to sew clothes that fit me well and are comfortable!
The 5-, 10-, and 15-minute unclutterer
12 hours ago