Once again, my daughter and I will be going to Otakon, the big anime convention in Baltimore. We had so much fun last year that we're doing it again! But we need new costumes. And this year, my son Ian is going to join us as well.
Diana made the suggestion that we choose a theme, and have costumes that fit the theme. Her first thought was "1980s kids cartoons", and thought that Ian would make a great "Inspector Gadget." But then we couldn't quite come up with good costume ideas for the two of us. I thought I could go as Velma from "Scooby Doo" since it was the only female character I could think of who wasn't built like Barbie.
After much back and forth, the three of us agreed on a theme and what we wanted to do for costumes. So I went to the web and started finding reference pictures:
Yep, we're going as Disney Villains!
The costumes will present some interesting challenges, not the least of which will be that Diana will be wearing a fur coat in the middle of summer. But I'm going to have fun with these! Luckily I have three months to pull them together. All the main patterns will be drafted with PMB, of course, which will be easy for Diana's Cruella costume, but doing Jafar and Maleficent will present more challenges.
- Cruella's coat: making it fluffy without being stiflingly hot
- Cruella's handbag: finding faux arctic fox tails that aren't too expensive
- Jafar's headpiece: how to make it big and poufy without making it top-heavy
- Jafar's staff: making the eyes glow (Ian says he and his dad will work on that!)
- Jafar's shoulder pieces: making them stiff without being unwieldy
- Maleficent's headpiece: shaping the horns
- Maleficent's staff: making the glowing orb
As always, suggestions are welcomed, as are links to similar costumes so I can see how other people did the same thing!