Happy National Sewing Month! To celebrate, I'm finally, finally getting around to sewing some new wardrobe staples! This weekend I started a new skirt and finished it this afternoon. I'm really quite happy with it; it's modeled after a skirt I bought years and years ago and it's still hanging in my closet even though it's about four sizes too small (hey, I can dream!). The original is a khaki twill, but I decided to make it out of a denim that's been aging in my stash.
PatternMaster Boutique. The settings are: gored skirt, flare of 10, flare depth of 12, length 32. I had drafted inseam pockets, but at the last minute decided to have patch pockets on the front side panels, so those were just done manually.
Every seam was sewn, then serged, then pressed to one side and topstitched twice. Boy, did that add to the construction time! But I'm very happy with the look. Since I used blue denim, I used the traditional gold thread for the topstitching.
Here's the back view:
I'll be making more of these, in different fabric weights, because I really love wearing skirts. This one will have to go through the wash a few times to soften it up, though... it's pretty stiff right now.
Organizing suggestions found in the media
4 hours ago