Friday, January 2, 2015

First sewing for 2015!

Not to skirt the issue, but... I need skirts.

I did a pretty thorough evaluation of my wardrobe a few weeks ago, and found that the biggest gap was in skirts. Lately I've fallen into a fashion rut, where my go-to outfit is a pair of jeans and a knit top. Safe, but boring. My resolution for 2015 is to break out of this pattern and start injecting some variety into my closet.
All last year I participated in two online challenges: the Make a Garment a Month challenge (which I failed at... I think I only sewed about five things for myself all year) and the Ready-To-Wear Fast (which I aced... Didn't buy a single item of RTW all year, much to my shock!).
But this doesn't mean I can now go on a shopping spree; both challenges have been extended into the new year, so if I want some new clothes, I'll have to make them.
So, I dug into my stash and produced a lovely piece of gray wool (source unknown; probably got it from a swap at a sewing retreat) and a piece of shocking pink silk to use as lining. The pattern was drafted with PatternMaster Boutique (as usual). Assembly was pretty straightforward; the outer wool pieces were edge-finished with the serger prior to construction, then everything was just stitched together. The lining pieces were serged.

The finished skirt!

Front view:

I'm standing kind of wonky, I realize... But really, the hem IS level.

Back view:

Pockets!!

A peek at the lining!

The lining isn't attached to the outer fabric; it hangs free.

I'm very happy with how the hem came out.

Because of the curve of the hem, I elected to use a facing rather than trying to turn the fabric up. I stitched the hem tape to the top edge of the facing prior to attaching it. I then fused a strip of medium Pro-Weft interfacing to the outer fabric, and hand-stitched the hem, being careful not to go all the way through the outer fabric. This was a BIG hem... about ten feet around. It took me two full episodes of "Mission: Impossible" on Netflix to get it done.

A Skirt for Diana, Too

After much trepidation, I cut into the camel hair wool I bought ages ago to make a skirt for Diana. And once again, I was reminded that I really do know how to sew, and that sewing fine fabrics is actually a lot easier to sew with than crappy stuff.


It's the same draft as for my own skirt.


It's a big hem sweep.

The lining was from Chanel; I got it at A Fabric Place in Baltimore.


She's already worn it to work twice (I finished hers last week).

The nice thing about this skirt draft is that I can use it with a bodice pattern to make a dress, too.

Here's to more sewing for me in 2015! Happy new year!