Auditioning Fabric: Too Much Scarlett?

Thanks, everyone, for the votes of confidence in the pattern choice. I drafted my first muslin yesterday and hope to print it out and test it tomorrow, since it looks like we'll be "enjoying" a snow day.

I went to JoAnns today to take advantage of their sales and buy fabric for the "Hairspray" costumes I'm doing for the local high school. While I was there I came across this tone-on-tone blue jacquard in the drapery section, and picked up two yards to audition for the Smithson gown.


It is not as subtle a tone-on-tone as I would have liked, but it's very close. Here it is held up against me:


Looking for honest opinions here: Done up in the pattern mentioned in my last post, would this fabric just scream "DRAPERIES!!"?
One thing this fabric has going for it is the price: I can get it on sale for about $8/yard. Considering I'll be needing 10 yards or so for the jacket and skirt, that makes it mighty tempting.
Share your thoughts!!

Comments

  1. IMO, there's a reason it was in the drapery department. ;) I think you need a smaller scale design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! The Smithsonian event calls for a spectacular outfit--this will be a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pattern and your ideas but the fabric does bring to mind cushions or draperies to me- the color is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally I think the print is too large. The color, however, is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about a closely fitted one shoulder and maybe with a flared hem or a bias cut lower piece for the flare? I don't presume to know the weight of the fabric but I think it would look nice.

    I am going to experiment with some IKEA prints for the coming summer in pants and skirts....taking home deco fabrics to the streets. Will have to test for colourfastness first though.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts... Please share!