30 Days of Me: Day 11

Day 11: Favorite TV Shows



I grew up watching TV (what baby boomer didn't?). But I've found that, as I get older, I spend less and less time simply watching a TV show. I don't have the patience to get into a series like "Lost", which requires much thought and speculation and thrives on plot twists, and unless you watch it from the first episode you have no hope of figuring out what is going on.

When we moved back to Redwall in December, my husband was researching what kind of TV service we should get. When we lived here previously, we had Dish Network. It was nice, but expensive. For the last four years we had Cable TV (Comcast). Again, great selection of channels, but after the introductory period the bill was topping $300 per month!!

So, I made a radical suggestion: Let's not have any subscription TV. We have an antenna; let's just see what we pull in over the air for free, and supplement it with our Roku box. And you know what? We haven't missed a thing. Of course, one thing that contributes to that is the fact that our TV is not in the living room; it's upstairs in what used to be our daughter's bedroom. So watching TV becomes a conscious decision, rather than a default activity. I also chose not to reconnect the TV in my sewing room, and instead I listen to podcasts on my iPod.

That said, there are a few shows I like to watch, and I will sometimes purchase episodes from iTunes. My favorites are:
  • Mythbusters
  • Hoarders
And, that's it. I've never gotten into shows like "Project Runway" or "American Idol"; ever since I worked on an episode of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" I just cannot stomach so-called "reality TV." We were fed lines; scenes were re-shot multiple times; everything was carefully staged.

Give me a decent book any time. My list of favorite books would be a mile long (And I do find it interesting that this "30 Days of Me" question list does not include anything about favorite books).

Comments