Another t-shirt quilt

Earlier this summer, a friend of mine contacted me to ask if I would be interested in making a t-shirt quilt for her sister-in-law. Since the timeframe wasn't immediate and I could work it into the other projects littering my sewing room, I said sure.

Well, the quilt was given to its recipient today and I got a picture of the proud new owner.


I was sent a box of shirts from his running career and pieced them into a 60" x 60" blanket. The shirts were all stabilized with fusible knit from Rowley's, and the back was a fleece chosen by the sister-in-law. The quilt has a layer of medium-loft batting to give it some extra warmth, and the whole thing is bound with a brown knit fabric, double-folded and machine-stitched to the front, then the corners were mitered and the back hand-stitched in place. The layers were secured with knotted embroidery floss at the intersection of each block.

The mitered corners were actually interesting to figure out; I'm going to do a tutorial on how to mark and sew them because, really, once I wrapped my head around the topology of the folds, it was quite easy and quick to do.


Comments