Second Fat Suit: A Learning Process

This afternoon I returned to the high school auditorium to fit the second fat suit, this time for the (skinny) young lady playing Tracy. I learned a lot in the process of making the first suit, and applied it to this one with such good results that I know I'm going to have to take the first one apart and redo it. But I'm not upset; the end result is what matters.


The differences is that I added bust and butt pads, made of poly quilt batting stuffed with more poly batting. I will use a tag gun to fix them in place during the next fitting, and will then secure them with hand stitches.

The only alteration the director asked for is to take a bit off the hips (you can't see from this angle, but she's got quite the jodhpurs look going on). I just wish the suit fabric matched her skin tone better so she could wear a sleeveless dress in the final scene. But alas.

The next fitting session is on Monday, and at that time I need to have both fat suits pretty much complete, plus one outfit for each of them (a muumuu for Edna and a blouse and skirt for Tracy). I also need to pin-fit some existing dresses for some of the other cast members so they can be altered. The good news about these alterations is that they are to dresses I made two years ago for the production of "Dreamgirls!" at the same school, and when I made them I designed them for easy alterations.

Comments

  1. Slightly disappointed you had to make a fa suit for "Tracy". Surely there was a talented large girl at that school. Oh, well - such is life in the "real world" of high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you make fat suits for other people...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I'd love to get paid for doing these things I just don't have the time to sew for more people than I already do! But thanks for asking. It's really not that hard a process to make a fat suit; it just takes some tweaking to get it to look right!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts... Please share!